Saturday, October 6, 2012

Next Thing You Know


My first month away has flown by; I can’t believe it’s already October! September was spent in Kenya, orienting ourselves with the culture. We were each matched with a host family, so we spent our first weekend in Nairobi with them. My mom, dad, and three siblings were very warm and welcoming. I was fortunate enough to spend the next two weekends with them as well. The other YAVs and I also took a ten day Kiswahili course and a three day graduate course on East African culture, religion, politics, and economics. We also visited a children’s home, a center for Christian/Muslim relations, and a village in the foothills of Mount Kenya. While it was great to experience Nairobi, I’m thrilled to be in Dar es Salaam, my placement for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment